Friday, November 15, 2013

What Worked and what Didn't--Two Weeks in One!

Part 1: Reflective Journaling.
What a complicated two weeks. My school district's teachers have worked without a contract since the end of July, and the stress is starting to show in my face. I'm glad I was able to find a few days to smile in my teaching-ware photos despite the stress and turmoil that is going on in my mind. 

The stress of the economics of my job are easy to keep out of the day-to-day lessons though. (Despite the bags under my eyes...) In fact, I've prepared my next few weeks out to the every-minute-detail. This helps. With the chaos (that I love) of NaNoWriMo and the Tuesday/Thursday night scholastic bowl matches (of which I am the HS coach), it's hard to find spare time in November to get anything done outside of the school day.

What DID work: On Sunday, I went to the school and copied everything I need (or anticipate needing) which frees me up to working one-to-one with students and other teachers during my prep time. It was nice not to worry about what I still needed copied or what materials I needed to set aside or pull from the cabinet.


I changed the project my 7th grade students have completed after reading "Names/Nombres" by Julia Alvaraz and I LOVE the results! In the past, we made computer-generated name splashes. This year, I wanted to ditch the computer (yes, I ditched electronics for crayons!) The projects were great! The sight-impaired student in my class was able to complete the assignment by making bookmarks with his six nicknames in braille for each student. It was a huge success and a great way for him to share his nicknames as well.
"Names/Nombres" Names Project


What DIDN'T work: In all my pre-preparations, I failed to notice that this was a short week. Essentially, I had to drop a lesson that I had planned and modify a quiz at the last minute. Really, a small "fail" in the great scheme of things.

Part 2: Teachingware.
I'm behind a week or so. But I WORE the SKIRTS! Last week was a short week and it was COLD! I resorted to leggings a lot and at the beginning of this week it looked like I may not make it (I'm missing my pants in this cold November!) Thankfully, the weather has warmed up a bit again, and next week might be the last week I'm able to "bare" leg!

Week 7 (November 4th-7th)


 <= Monday--This is a perfect example of why I'm doing this. I loved this skirt....until I saw this picture. It's too long for my short little legs. Maybe it would work with a different shirt and boots, but since I can no longer wear high heels, some of these skirts just won't work anymore.

My rating: 3 Sadly. I will miss this one... (replacement search!)

<=Tuesday--Awe, drats. I really liked the idea of these two colors together, but the shapes didn't work together. I love the comfort of this dress (I have already worn it in brown) but if I wear it again, I need to rethink the shirt.

My rating: 4 (skirt) 2 total outfit....Might need to take pictures BEFORE I leave for the day!



<= Wednesday--YES! Don't I look happy! This is what a good skirt and the right shirt for the right person looks like! Once I realized I needed more patterns and colors in my tops, i ran out to the local thrift store and picked up this VeraWang shirt sold at Kohls. LOVE it! and the skirt is perfect! 

My rating: 5! No pockets but this one has lace trim on the bottom edge and just enough detail in black fabric to make it different!



<= Thursday--Some days have just become too hectic at school to find the time to sneak into the bathroom at school to take a photo. Unfortunately, neither the top or skirt/top combo nor lighting is flatterning. Good thought, bad execution!


My rating: 4 for the skirt. I want to try this one again. The length is right, the shirt is not.



Week  8  (November 12-14th)
Monday--VETERANS' DAY!
<=Tuesday--Again, another busy day w/o opportunity to snap a picture. This was a completely comfortable skirt/shirt/sweater combo for a freezing cold day, but I felt a bit "too comfy" for school. Maybe for a winter stroll in a park, but the sweater (as much as I love it) didn't work and made me look old...not good.

My rating: 4 This is not a good picture, but I wore this skirt comfortably until 10 p.m. that night! If I can make it that far without a complaint, it deserves a 4!

<=Wednesday--KICKED IT! Love, love love this skirt! It was a last minute pick from the "winter" storage container. (Yes, there are MORE skirts in storage...) I completely forgot what the detail kick-pleats were like on the back. I will buy another skirt like this!!!

My rating: 5 Such a different skirt! Spices my wardrobe up and despite the lack of pockets, it was a dream to wear!



<=Thursday--This one makes me happy because I made it! (Well, actually, I combined a black skirt w/a red skirt to make this one.) And despite the mistake I made by not seaming the pockets, the skirt was really comfortable. It was mostly cold throughout the day though, so I kept the jacket on 80% of the time. (Or the "robe" as one student called it...guess it might not be as great as I think...)

My rating: 4 Nice and warm (almost 2 layers!) and very LONG pockets! Plus...the color blocking worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment